- Follow these instructions when requested by a GFI Technical Support Representative.
- If you do not have an open case, please first submit a request at https://accounts.gfi.com/Support.
Please follow these steps to provide information to isolate the issue:
Note: Please follow each of the steps in order and include all of the files requested to prevent delays due to requests for additional information.
- Stop GFI WebMonitor Core Service and GFI Proxy services
Note: Internet cannot be accessed while the services are stopped.
- Delete all files from the <GFI WebMonitor installation folder>\DebugLogs directory
- Set registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\GFI\WebMonitor\debug to 1.
- Start the services stopped in step 1.
- Look in the Webmonitor\DebugLogs directory until you see that the logs files start to be created.
- Reproduce the problem:
- Take screenshots of the client desktop and clock (and time of the connections) and the result so we can find it in the logging.
- You could use the problem step recorder for it.
- On the WebMonitor server immediately copy the WebMonitor\DebugLogs directory and paste it into the DebugLogs directory.
- This is necessary to capture the problem in the logging before the logs overwrite.
- Run the GFI WebMonitor troubleshooter from Start > Programs > GFI WebMonitor > Troubleshooter
Note: If the Troubleshooter application appears to "hang" for more than 5 minutes:
→ Click Cancel,
→ Copy the <GFI WebMonitor installation folder>\DebugLogs directory into the <GFI WebMonitor installation folder>\Support directory and
→ Continue with the next step:
- Go to the installation directory of GFI WebMonitor and zip the
<GFI WebMonitor installation folder>\Support folder.
- Save the following to the
<GFI WebMonitor installation folder>\Support folder. Your APPLICATION and SYSTEM event logs in EVT format
- Save the screenshots file with the http links also
- Generate a gfinfo.nfo file by typing 'msinfo32 /nfo c:\gfinfo.nfo' into the Start > Run line and put it in the folder (allow the necessary time for this file to generate data).
- Zip up the Support folder. Rename the file according to the following format yyyy_mm_dd_<case number>.zip (ex.. 2008_09_12_GFI-12345-67890).
- Upload the file to our FTP server:
Note: If you see a page with many files and folders, right-click on the page and choose Logon As..., and put in the credentials below)
- FTP Server details:
- Host: ftp://ftp.gfisoftware.com
- User: gfi
- Pass: gfi911cust
- If using Internet Explorer use ftp://gfi:email@example.com
- Copy and paste the file into the page.
- Reply to the case via the accounts portal at https://accounts.gfi.com/Support with the exact FILENAME uploaded.
IMPORTANT: once you have collected the logging, disable debug reversing the steps:
- Stop GFI WebMonitor Core service and GFI Proxy service.
- Set registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\GFI\WebMonitor\debug to 0.
- Restart the GFI WebMonitor service and GFI Proxy service.